Name:

I was previously a constitutional law and civil rights litigator and am now a journalist. I am the author of three New York Times bestselling books -- "How Would a Patriot Act" (a critique of Bush executive power theories), "Tragic Legacy" (documenting the Bush legacy), and With Liberty and Justice for Some (critiquing America's two-tiered justice system and the collapse of the rule of law for its political and financial elites). My fifth book - No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA and the US Surveillance State - will be released on April 29, 2014 by Holt/Metropolitan.

Monday, May 12, 2008

1st email reply from Larry Di Rita - 5/11/2008


I'm confident in my characterizations of the intent of the program. Some of the analysts were quite favorable to the president's goals in the war, others were not. We heard from and interacted with them and others who had a range of views. I said that to kurtz and to barstow. I also told barstow several times that he may well have emails from me that suggest I had a particular understanding at the time that I do not now recollect. I told him that I would be pleased to review any emails from or to me I would be pleased to review them, he never provided any to me..

I explained the intent of the program to the best of my recollection. You are free to accept that explanation or not. I do not have the emails to which you allude, which apparently are more than 3 years old. I cannot stop you from interpreting snippets of them as you choose to. There is nothing I have seen here that suggests to me anything different from what i recall and have said recentlyabout the program.